- Read the label on the floppy drive
- Create a new folder with that name
- Insert the floppy disk
- Refresh Total Commander
- Select all files from the floppy
- Copy the files to the newly created folder
- Wait until files are all copied...
- Rinse and Repeat
I decided that each year's set of disks was really a "Disk Set", and each "Disk Set" had multiple floppy disks associated with it (ie. W2 Program (Disk 1), W2 Program (Disk 2), etc...).
I got out my pencil and paper and drew up a mock version of what a UI might look like, then after about 10 minutes, I opened up VS2005 and started building the dialog. Once I got all the controls in place, I just started writing the code behind the various controls. The code behind the buttons is ridiculously easy, and the productivity of the whole "floppy disk project" was increased 10 fold. I just described the disk sets (ie. created the directories), and clicked 'import'. Once the app starts, it notifies me when I need to switch disks and I just switch disks and click enter. I created the app (start to finish) in about 2 hours; there were lots of small glitches to fix and various interruptions.
Here it is if you're interested in seeing it:
It works like this:
- Define the 'temp' directory that all files will go
- Create a disk set (ie. 1998 Tax Programs, 1999 Tax Programs, etc..)
- Define the various disks in the disk set (ie. W2 Program, 1099 Program, etc..)
- Begin the import of the disk set
- Answer the prompts...
If you decide to download it, please let me know what you think. :)